Yoga at Sweat Studios is truly the best exercise you can do; it’s low impact, meaning it won’t stress and strain your joints, in fact it’ll keep them in great shape, and it’s one of the only exercise forms which will undo all of the downsides of the sedentary lives we lead today. It’s a real workout for real life. it’ll help manage your weight, build your strength and muscle tone and leave you feeling great, so let’s get started!
A bit nervous about coming on your own?
Don’t be! Book your first class in July and bring a friend for just £5! All you need to do is give us a call (01908673811) or drop us an email once your booking is made and we’ll give you a promotion code for your friend to use. Simple!
Yoga for beginners
At Sweat we LOVE yoga newbies. Don’t panic, we promise not to make you wrap your leg behind your head or sit chanting in a circle with your eyes closed. We teach yoga for exercise. That means we leave the spiritual aspects at the door. We also teach yoga for real life (and real bodies), so while bendy Wendy may be posting photos of herself in the splits on social media, we’re keeping it real and teaching yoga poses us “normal” people can actually do.
“So friendly, despite my limited yoga ability.” Neil, 68
Beginners yoga course
At Sweat we don’t offer a beginners yoga course because you don’t need one. By keeping yoga simple, teaching easy to perform postures, speaking to you in plain English and giving you assistance during class, you’ll get along just fine in our general classes. We welcome anything up to 150 new members to the studio every month, most doing yoga for the first time, so you don’t need to worry, you’ll be in good company and trust us, no matter how inflexible or unfit you think you might be, we’ve seen it all before.
Beginners yoga classes
Most of our classes are suitable for people of all levels of yoga experience, but we have a couple of classes that are great for first timers:
Sweat Hot Classic.
Our most popular class. A 60 minute class comprising basic yoga poses. Each class is the same, so you’re able to build familiarity with the poses and see progression with each class. A complete all-rounder, performed in a heated room, the class will work your flexibility, strength and cardiovascular fitness. You’ll burn calories, tone up and keep your internal organs, joints and spine in tip-top condition. This is a fantastic class for anyone suffering with back issues, rehabilitating injuries and keen for a yoga class which gives a gym-style workout at the same time.
“I always feel very welcome at the studio and am never made to feel like I don’t fit in, even though I’m not as fit or slim as most of the other customers.” – Sarah, 42
A gentle but effective yoga class performed entirely on the floor. This 60 minute non-heated class is great if you want to work on your flexibility and have a bit of quiet time. You’ll hold stretches for anything up to 5 minutes and focus on tuning into your breath as a way of learning how to relax. The class focuses on traditionally tight and troublesome areas in our body – hips, hamstrings, thighs, shoulders and spine. Great for anyone in a desk-based job, or a sporty person looking for a deep stretch.
Booking your first class
- Have a read of the various classes we have available
- Go to the timetable and select the class you’d like to book
- Create a login to our booking system and complete your registration details
- Book your class. For the best rate buy our Newbie deal – 30 days of yoga for £39. Come just 4 times in the 30 days and you’ll get the best class rate we offer. Alternatively to just give us a try buy a single class pass
- Download our app to manage future bookings
Prepping for your first class
- Arrive at least 20 minutes before your first class so we can show you round the studio and your instructor can talk through any questions or health issues you may have. Please note, our yoga instructors will do their best to assist, but they’re not doctors. If you’re not sure if yoga’s right for you, have a quick chat to your GP. Also, for all classes some basic mobility is required; being able to stand unaided, get on and off the floor without issue, kneel and/or sit in a cross-legged position relatively comfortably for a period of time.
- Wear close-fitting, light clothing that absorbs the sweat from your body. Baggy or heavy clothes get weighty and oozy with sweat in a hot class and just generally get in the way.
- Avoid eating a large meal less than 3 hours before class. The postures work both internally and externally and doing a twisting pose designed to massage your stomach after a full meal can be a bit uncomfortable. That said you need something in your tummy. So if you’re hungry grab an energy bar, banana, nuts or a yoghurt, nothing too heavy. Practicing on a completely empty stomach can make you light-headed.
- Come to class hydrated. Rather than guzzling down litres of water just prior or during the class (you’ll only want to rush to the loo), try to make water part of your daily regime (2 – 3 litres a day).
- Bring a change of clothes to wear after class if you’re doing a Sweat Hot class. You will sweat.
- Bring water or fill up a bottle when you get here. We have filtered water on tap. You’ll also need a £1 coin for the lockers.
- We rent towels out for £2 each, but if you’d rather bring your own, then make sure you bring two – one large enough to cover your mat (bath-sized) and another for showering afterwards.
- Yoga mats are provided, but you’re also welcome to bring your own.
“I am a complete newbie to yoga and felt welcome at Sweat from the start – took out the Sweat Newbie package which is great for finding the classes you like the best. Highly recommended” Emma, 48
Where to find us
We’re in the Hub, Central Milton Keynes, MK9 2FZ. Park in Sainsbury’s on Witan Gate (free for 3 hours), exit the supermarket front doors, cross the road and walk right up Avebury Boulevard, turn left at the Sk:n Clinic and we’re on the right.