Over 10 weekend sessions, our Yoga Teacher Training Program transforms passionate yoga practitioners into highly qualified instructors. Ready and able to teach as soon as the course ends.
Yoga Teacher Training Program outline
The Hot Yoga Teacher Training Program takes places on Friday evenings and all day Saturday and Sunday.
During the course you will:
- Learn how to teach a 60-90 minute hot yoga class using dialogue, verbal cues and hands on adjustments
- Explore different teaching styles, the characteristic of a good yoga teacher, understand the type of yoga teacher you want to be and build your confidence and “unique voice” as an instructor
- Examine postural alignment, gain a deeper understanding of how yoga postures should be performed and understand how to correct common misalignments and perform modifications (verbally and physically)
- Learn about anatomy, kinesiology and physiology and apply them to yoga
- Understand the different physical and mental benefits delivered by yoga
- Further your own practice by taking part in yoga classes, broaden your knowledge of different yoga styles and begin to make yoga part of your daily life including practicing meditation
- Understand basic first aid and how to keep your students safe. Gain an insight into medical conditions that would inhibit the practice of hot yoga/yoga, in particular pregnancy
- Explore the history of yoga, examine different yoga forms and where they originated from, and study yoga philosophy
- Understand the business of yoga and how to make a career out of being a yoga teacher
While focusing on equipping you to teach hot yoga, the course will provide a solid foundation from which you can continue to explore other forms of yoga. You will be taught how to adapt the 50 posture hot yoga sequence you learn to a non-heated environment. This means you’ll have everything you need to begin teaching at all types of yoga and fitness establishments upon graduation and begin your journey as a yoga teacher.
The course will comprise:
- Teaching practice, drills and peer-to-peer teaching
- Yoga practice (home and in-studio)
- Written assignments
- Written and practical examinations
By the end of the course you will be able to:
- Teach a 60-90 minute Sweat Hot Classic class
- Understand the purpose, alignment and health benefits of 50 yoga postures and how to teach them. These core poses can be used as a basis for heated and non-heated hatha and vinyasa yoga classes
- Understand the principles behind building your own yoga classes/sequences
- Begin your new life as a yoga teacher and start a process of continual learning and self development as you continue your journey and exploration of yoga
The program is led by Kathy Ran, a senior Yoga Alliance Certified Teacher. Kathy has over 20 years of yoga experience having run studios in the UK and US. She’s developed over 200 avid yogis into fully fledged instructors and works with a number of studios across the UK delivering Yoga Teacher Training Programs, utilising her expertise in hot, vinyasa and anusara yoga.
Kathy is supported by the Sweat Studios senior teaching team and other specialists in the fields of anatomy and yoga history, philosophy and lifestyle.
As part of the Yoga Teacher Training Program you’ll be assigned a mentor who is a member of the Sweat Studios teaching team. Your mentor will be on hand to give you guidance and support as you go through the program and help you find your feet as a new instructor.
Dates & Schedule
Our next course begins on Friday 19th January 2018. The training dates are; 19-21st January, 3rd-4th February, 16th-18th February, 9-11th March, 23rd-25th March, 13th-15th April, 27th-29th April, 11th-13th May, 1st-3rd June, 16th-17th June.
The course takes place over 10 weekends at the following times; Friday (6:30-9pm), Saturday (10am-6:30pm includes 10am yoga class) and Sunday (10:30am-5:30pm).
The course has a high level of focus on ensuring you can teach. Practice teaching is incorporated into every weekend. You’ll teach one-on-one, in small groups and in larger groups, instructing your peers, friends and family to help you find your voice and build your confidence. Your teaching practice will culminate in the delivery of a 60 minute hot yoga class which will form part of your final examination.
- Module 1 – Kick off weekend & foundation, form & function: Seeing bodies & learning how to touch, introduction to the 50 yoga poses, understanding why you shouldn’t believe everything you think, audio, visual and kinaesthetic learning, yoga 101
- Module 2 – History & philosophy of yoga, schools of yoga, styles of teaching, 8 limbs of yoga, personal practice, history of yoga in our culture, history of hot yoga, pranayama and meditation
- Module 3 – Anatomy & physiology weekend with Melissa Nordin, Senior Yoga Teacher & Yoga Therapist
- Module 4/5 – Hot yoga teacher training: Breaking down the 50 poses to understand alignment, dialogue, adjustments, benefits, precautions, the importance of pace/voice, how to manage a room, advanced hot yoga – 108 asanas
- Module 6 – Yogic lifestyle, chakras, mantras, mudras, setting intention, principles of alignment, adjustments, partner yoga, modifications
- Module 7 – The theory and practice of yoga, biomechanics, examination
- Module 8 – Modifications for injury, how to use props, first aid, practice practicum weekend
- Module 9 – Practicum weekend, the business of yoga, the qualities of a teacher, how to build your classes and create a following
- Module 10 – Practicum weekend
There will also be work to be completed in your own time. This will include attending yoga classes, self yoga practice and meditation, reading yoga texts and comprehension essays, completing a journal and manifestation boards, learning dialogue, researching poses and practice teaching.
Sweat Studios Academy
Students performing well on the teacher training program will be invited to join the Sweat Studios Academy on graduation. The Academy will give you the support you need to start teaching Sweat Hot classes at our Studios. You’ll shadow work with Sweat senior teachers, and embark on a process of further development to give you the tools and confidence to join the team as one of our instructors. There may also be opportunities to undertake further internal and external training, with the support of Sweat, to broaden your skill set and position you to teach all classes on the timetable.
We are running two information sessions on Saturday 6th October and Saturday 4th November 12-1pm. These are chance for you to meet Kathy, take a class with her and ask any questions you have about the course to her and the Sweat team. Please reserve your spot in the info session online. Booking for the class before will open two weeks prior.
The course is open to anyone with a regular yoga practice of a minimum of one year. Eligibility is assessed on completion of your application form. To be accepted onto the program you need to have practiced some class at Sweat Studios or with Kathy and be known to her or the Sweat teachers.
Costs and application
The 10 week course costs £2,500. Full course payments received before 31st November 2017 will benefit from an early-bird discount of £200.
The course cost includes all books, study materials and yoga classes taught on the weekends of the course as well as the mentor program. Teacher trainees can take 2 x classes at Sweat Studios per week over the course of the program. This will include the Saturday 10am on the weekends the training is taking place. Excluded from this are Sunday Specials, Tuesday 6pm, Sunday 9:30am and monthly Bliss classes.
Drop an email to email@example.com and the application forms will be emailed to you along with a breakdown of the syllabus. Once you’re accepted onto the course, a non-refundable deposit of £500 is payable to secure your spot.
Cancellations must be made a month in advance of the course beginning and are subject to a 15% administration fee and the non-refundable £500 deposit.
Still got questions? Have a gander at our FAQs. Right, let’s get to it! Who’s ready to teach?